This nori siomai recipe is a quick and easy lunchbox meal prep. We use nori (dried seaweed) to substitute dumpling wraps for a healthier version of this all-time favourite savoury snack.
Shumai or Siomai is a dumpling of Chinese origin that’s popular among Filipinos. Siomai is usually served as a snack but it has become a popular staple in school canteens as part of a rice combo. Vendor stands can be found everywhere from schools to side street stalls. This particular recipe is known as Japanese Siomai in the Philippines. Master Siomai first introduced the now widely popular Japanese Siomai when it was starting as a franchise.
Nori (Dried Seaweed)
Salt & Pepper
Light Soy Sauce
- Mix ground pork, chopped onion chives, carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- Place ground pork mixture on the nori and flatten.
- Roll the nori and cut into desired size.
- let steam for a few minutes.
- For the sauce: Light soy sauce, calamansi, and chili.